Friday, August 29, 2008

Yes We Can

After turning 18 on November 7, 2000, and having my first election experience occur on that birthday, I was extremely disappointed with the election of George Bush weeks later. Then as a senior again, this time in college, I again experienced the extreme disappointment of a George Bush win. These were not just defeats of Democratic Candidates, they were defeats of America's proud leadership and the esteem of our country. I was so disheartened by my experiences as a presidential voter that I feared no mater how dire the circumstances of our nation, voters would still vote for enlargement of the fortunes of the wealthy and perceived protection of the right to bear arms, keep gays single, and thump those bibles. Well tonight my mind may have been changed.

As the sun set on Denver and the DNC, the Democrats rocked Invesco Field at Mile High. I was fortunate to have avoided the mile long lines to get in the stadium, and when I arrived at the stadium after work at 5:15PM there were already tens of thousands in the stands. Sheryl Crow, Jill Biden, and Michelle Obama were all glamorous. Will.I.Am did not in fact try to adapt "I Got it From my Mama" into "I Got it From Obama," but instead performed "Yes We Can." (This video rocks! Scarlett Jo, Ashley from Fresh Prince, and Kareem are awesome.)



Invesco at Mile High

The political speakers were led by Susan Eisenhowser, Bill Richardson, and Al Gore. Mile High Stadium is first and foremost the home of the Denver Broncos, but before Obama made his appearance the stadium swelled to a near capacity crowd with over 80,000 attending; it was the largest group Invesco had ever seen. The wave surged around the stadium and pro Obama chants spontaneously burst out all evening.

Susan Eisenhowser


Bill Richardson


Al Gore

Finally, after the video introduction showing old family photos of Barack and his family, he appeared on stage and the crowd erupted. Flags waved and "Change" posters shook. The barrage of flashbulbs was blinding and never stopped throughout the entirety of Obama's speech. I sat in the South Stands, which any good Denverite will know is notorious for having the most die hard fans creating the most incredible raucous by stomping on the metal bleachers. The Obamaphiles did the South Stands proud as the noise was deafening during breaks in the speech and the ground was in constant motion.

Barack Obama

After Obama's final words, the crowd stood as one and then many were startled and elated as fireworks were launched around the stadium. Streamers streamed and confetti flew. It occurred to me for a moment that this celebration came to soon with so many months of hard work to come before the November election, but it was a wonderful week in Denver, with incredible political star power, and the Democrats deserved to celebrate and show their pride.

Firework Finale

I am an independent and have never participated in a caucus or primary, but I have long admired Barack Obama since he shockingly won the Illinois Senate seat, thanks in part to the sexual deviance of Jack Ryan. I worried that racial bias would hamper Barack's campaign, but so far I am encouraged by the massive support from people of seemingly all creeds. I think until tonight I had suffered an eight year political hangover as I have often wondered, can the Democrats snap this string of presidential disappointment?

Tonight I decided that this amazing dream ride of Obama may just come true and it is not because he is good enough. John Kerry and Al Gore were both great men and both had so much more potential than George Bush will ever have in terms of leadership, intelligence, and courage. But they lost because the question is not "can he do it?" As Obama said tonight in his speech: "... I stand before you tonight because all across America something is stirring. What the naysayers don't understand is that this election has never been about me; it's about you."

The question really is "can we do it?" I did not realize until tonight just how infectious the Obama spirit of change truly is, but it moved 80,000+ people in that stadium tonight and probably millions more over the airwaves. Barack is worthy of the job but the question is "can we do it?" I have decided to believe once again "YES WE CAN!"

No comments: